Crazy, decadent, good. Biscuits and gravy are a staple in our house. My mom grew up in the southwest, and this was a constant in her home. We know good biscuits and gravy when we see ’em. It’s gotta be made with good sausage, whole milk, lotsa peppa, and some fabulous biscuits. We had these on Christmas made by my cousin, Kim, which inspired me to whip up my own version when we got home.
Start by making dem biscuits.
Start by mixing together all of the dry ingredients.
and Baking Powder…
Stir it all togetha.
Add it to your food processor and throw in the cold butter chunks.
Pulse until you have nice fine crumbs.
If you don’t have buttermilk, (which I usually don’t) just mix together whole milk and a few teaspoons of vinegar.
Whisk or pulse in the butter milk.
Then you will have a nice thick dough.
See those nice chunks of butter, mmmmm.
Knead it together slightly and then roll it out into a nice thick sheet. The thicker you keep the layer of dough, the thicker the biscuits will be.
Cut it with a biscuit butter or a glass.
Hello rounds of goodness.
Bake them at 400 for about 15 minutes, until they are nice and golden and fluffy.
Look at those flaky layers.
Then start cooking the sausage (realistically, start this while the biscuits are in the oven!)
Crumble it up real good.
Once it’s cooked, stir in the flour. The flour will stick to the sausage which will make for a clump free gravy!
Let the flour cook a little, the flour flavor needs to cook down a bit.
Then stir in the whole milk.
Stir in the LOT of pepper and let the gravy thicken a little. Make sure to stir while this is happening.
Drape over biscuits and start digging in.
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- 4 cups flour
- 2 sticks of cold butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 2/3 cups butter milk or regular milk with 2 teaspoons of vinegar mixed in.
- melted butter to slather on the biscuits
- Sausage Gravy
- 1 lb. of breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- a lot of pepper (about 2-3 teaspoons)
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1-2 teaspoons season salt
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients and butter in food processor, pulse until it forms fine crumbs. If you don't have a food processor use a pastry blender or two forks. Be careful not to over mix or to use your hands. You want the little chunks of butter to stay intact!
- Add in buttermilk as you pulse.
- Turn out dough onto a clean flour surface.
- Roll out into a thick sheet, about 1/2-1 inch thick. The thicker the sheet, the taller the biscuit!
- Cut using a biscuit cutter and place onto an un-greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Top with melted butter if you wish!
- Cook sausage in an iron skillet or heavy bottomed skillet. Break into crumbles while cooking.
- Add flour and mix until combined.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens.
- Add pepper, salt, and season salt. Add the salt a little at a time, some breakfast sausage is saltier than others!
- Top the gravy onto the biscuits and dig in. Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley if you wish.