Nothing sounded better on yesterday’s cold rainy evening than a bowl of hot and creamy broccoli cheddar soup. I used to make this soup for Steve and I when we were in college, and I haven’t made it in a really long time! I also made some nice homemade bread for dunking. MMMmmmm…
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention…we topped it with…BACON! Why haven’t I been doing this all along?
You can make broccoli cheddar soup pretty quickly, it’s also easy to make ahead and reheat!
Start off by chopping an onion and some garlic! Put them in a pot with some olive oil, and of course, butter.
Saute it altogether until it is nice and soft! Then add in the flour to make a kind of roux.
It will get nice and thick. Let it cook like this for a little bit so the floury taste will cook off.
Add in the cream and milk and stir until it is combined.
Add some salt and pepper and let it cook on low for a little. While it’s cooking, chop up the carrots.
It brings a little color to the soup!
Add the carrots into the pot along with the broth. I use beef broth, but you can use chicken or vegetable broth, whatever you prefer.
Now add in the broccoli, I used frozen because I had a huge bag of it from a trip to BJs, buttttt fresh would be just as good. If you use fresh just cook it for a little bit longer!
Taste and make sure you put enough salt and pepper in there. As the broccoli cooks, break it up into smaller pieces. I like chunks of broccoli, but if you want a smoother soup, you can puree it with an immersion blender.
Now it’s time to add in the cheese. I mixed some into the soup and then topped the soup with a little more! I also crisped some bacon in the oven and crumbled it up on top!
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large carrots
- 2 cups broth beef, chicken, or vegetable
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- salt and pepper
- Chop onions and garlic into a fine dice
- Saute them in a medium sized heavy-bottomed pot with the olive oil and butter for about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir into the butter/onion mixture until it forms a thick paste. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and milk into the pot and stir to combine.
- Chop the carrots into a small dice and add them into the pot. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and broccoli and cook until broccoli is bright green and cooked through. Break up the broccoli into smaller pieces or blend the soup with an immersion blender.
- Stir in half of the cheese. Spoon into bowls and top each with a little of the remaining cheese. Add cooked bacon bits if you wish!