Stuffed Mushrooms are a holiday favorite in our household. I always look forward to my mother-in-law’s amazing stuffed mushrooms. She soaks the mushroom caps in marsala wine. It makes the mushrooms insanely flavorful and keeps them moist while cooking.
Start by soaking the mushrooms in the wine overnight. If you don’t have time to soak overnight, just soak for at least an hour!
Set aside the stems and mix them with sausage, cheese, and breadcrumbs! It’s that easy! They bake up in about 25 minutes!
- 2-3 cups marsala wine
- 1 package of baby Portabella mushrooms
- 1/2 lb. ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1/4 cups breadcrumbs (homemade, Panko, or plain)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 Tablespoons chopped Italian, flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 1. Clean the mushrooms thoroughly and remove the stems. Set the stems aside for later.
- 2. Fill a bowl or large plastic bag with the marsala wine. Add the mushroom caps and cover. Place in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- 3. Chop the mushroom stems and place in a bowl. Add the breadcrumbs. Cover this mixture with the whole milk and cream cheese. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- 4. Add the grated cheese, chopped parsley, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and garlic and onion powder. Stir to combine. Add the Italian sausage and combine thoroughly, until all of the spice/breadcrumb mixture is evenly distributed in the meat.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 6. Remove the mushroom caps from the refrigerator and take them out of the wine. Place the caps on a cooling rack over a baking sheet. This recipe makes overstuffed mushrooms, so scoop a generous amount of filling for each mushroom cap.
- 7. Make a round ball of the meat mixture and place it into the cavity of the mushroom cap. Repeat with all of the mushrooms. Place the mushrooms close together on the cooling rack to prevent them from falling over.
- 8. Bake for 25 minutes. The mushrooms should be golden brown. Top with a sprinkling of grated Romano cheese and chopped parsley!