I have tried many different recipes for chicken skewers, and I really like this latest concoction. It’s not a super sweet glaze, but more of an almost Indian style yogurt marinade. When I made this at the beach house it was well received, some people couldn’t contain their excitement for chicken satay and peanut sauce.
Start by cutting the chicken into strips. Then I like to brine the chicken in salt water for at least twenty minutes. It just makes them juicier and more delicious.
While the chicken is brining, I soak the skewers in water, so they won’t burn on the grill.
Mix all the ingredients of the marinade together in whatever dish you are going to use to marinade the chicken. Any dish will do as long as it can hold all the chicken.
Toss the chicken in the marinade and let it sit for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours. Too long and this type of marinade will start to break down the chicken too much.
Now, it’s skewering time. Weave the chicken onto the skewers for even cooking.
Then throw them on the grill for 6-7 minutes on each side. You can also bake them in a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Sorry, I’m more of a look at it and poke it to see if it’s done kind of gal. And I forgot to take pictures of it on the grill 🙁
You can eat them right off the skewer or dip them in the peanut sauce I wrote about in the summer roll entry. The recipe for them is listed below.
- • 2 chicken breasts
- • ½ cup greek yogurt
- • 2 Tablespoons apricot preserves (raspberry or plum works too!)
- • 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- • 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- • salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Soak long bamboo skewers in water to prevent burning in the oven.
- Butterfly each chicken breast and cut into long 1 inch wide strips. Brine the chicken if you would like in a bowl of cold water and salt, pat dry.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a low flat dish. Whisk until combined. Add chicken and coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Weave the chicken on to the skewers, one per skewer. Lay flat on a lined baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until completely cooked, or grill until done!
- Prepare the peanut sauce while baking