Really, is there anything better than chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches? Ice cream, sandwiched between chocolate chip cookies, covered in mini chocolate chips, oh yeah. SO GOOD!
I made these for Steve’s Birthday party instead of doing a big cake. He loves chocolate chip cookies probably more than anything and although he likes cake, it’s definitely not his favorite dessert. These ice cream sandwiches were so easy to serve to everyone, too! No cutting, or plates, or forks…it was great!
These cookies stay amazingly soft and when you use a good ice cream it stays just the right level of firmness, without breaking a tooth! No more rock hard chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches!
I went a little crazy and rolled the chocolate chip cookie dough out and cut it into perfect circles. This made the cookies cook a little more evenly and they held their shape very well. They won’t have a poofy center and crispy edges this way. I also added a little more flour to the dough so that it would be easier to roll out and less sticky!
I used Haagen Daas vanilla ice cream because you can buy it in giant quantities at BJ’s wholesale and it is delicious. I let it sit at room temperature for only about 10-15 minutes after the cookies had been made and cooled. You definitely don’t want it too soft! Or too hard. It’s really a fine balance here.
You can get creative and try out mint chocolate chip ice cream or other amazing flavors!
They hold up great in the freezer and are a great summer time treat! Check out the recipe below!!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 11/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 pint of vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups of mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars together in a mixing bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add sifted flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix until well combined, then add the chocolate chips.
- Split the dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Roll out the dough and cut out circles using a biscuit cutter.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown on the edges.
- Cool the cookies completely.
- Allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of ice cream onto one of the cookies. Flatten and add the other cookie on top. Roll the ice cream edges in the mini chocolate chips. Place on a baking sheet and freeze for at least 4 hours. Repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream! Once they are frozen, place them in a plastic bag. They will keep in the freezer for 3 months!