Homemade Flour Tortillas are soft, light, and insanely delicious. I always thought that making tortillas at home would be stupid and pointless, but they taste SO much better than anything you can buy in the store and they take less than 20 minutes to make.
I think store-bought tortillas have kind of a weird taste. They also have like 10 plus ingredients. Who wants all of those weird preservatives and fake ingredients in your food? All you really need is flour, oil, water, baking powder, and salt. It’s simple and it makes you feel a little bit better about eating 12 tortillas in one sitting.
It does take a little time to roll them out, but they cook up super quickly in an cast iron skillet. They take like thirty seconds per side.
I made these homemade flour tortillas on a whim the other night when we were having fajitas, and I was surprised how quickly I could make them when need be. Usually I set aside some time to cook them up, but I did them to order and it was fast and they were so hot and fresh!
I originally posted my recipe for homemade flour tortillas in a taco Tuesday post, but this is when I knew absolutely nothing about taking photos i.e. I often took them at night (what was I thinking??), used awkward plating, had irrelevant kitchen background showing. It was so bad.
Here’s to better photos, and warm tortillas!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl or in a KitchenAid stand mixer. Combine thoroughly.
- Add the oil and whisk together until large soft crumbs form.
- Whisk in the warm water, and knead the dough until smooth.
- Let it rest if you like or just begin pinching off golf-ball sized chunks.
- Roll the chunks into soft balls and place on a baking sheet.
- After making all of the balls, take one at a time and press it out on the sheet with your hands. Roll out the ball with the rolling pin into somewhat of a round shape. Make sure it is very thin!
- Place tortilla in a cast iron pan heated to medium. Cook about 30 seconds per side. Remove and cover with a towel. Keep stacking them as you go! Store them in a plastic baggie in the fridge or freezer! (best to eat right away!)