Why did I make these??????? Now I cannot stop eating them!! I love the crab rangoons and cream cheese wontons from Chinese food restaurants, but as you may know, I always like to figure out how to make these things myself, from scratch! And the results turned out to be way yummier and fresher! I’m never goin’ back! Oh an dI decided an egg roll shape instead of a wonton shape would be something cute and different!
For this recipe you will need….
For the Egg Rolls:
3 scallions, 1 package of cream cheese, 1 Tablespoon Sriracha, 1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar, wonton wrappers, one egg, 1/4 cup water, and 3 cups of oil for frying
For the Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup apricot jam, 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon ginger powder, 1/4 cup water.
It all started with the scallions, they really brighten up the egg roll filling and make it so tasty!
Then toss the package of cream cheese into your stand mixer (you can also use a hand mixer!)
Then toss the scallions in with the cream cheese.
Then add in the agave nectar!
Then add in the Sriracha!
Put the whisk on your stand mixer and whip away! Whip for about 2 minutes, until it is nice and fluffy. It helps if the cream cheese is at room temperature!
Super simple cream cheese filling, complete!
Whisk together an egg with 1/4 cup of water. This will be the glue to hold the wrapper together!
Grab a wonton wrapper and place in on a flat, clean surface. Place a dollop of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Turn the wrapper so that a corner is facing you (diamond style?)
Wet all of the edges of the wonton wrapper with the egg wash mixture. Then grab the corner of the wrapper and fold it over the middle of the filling.
Fold in the ends and roll an little further…
Then continue rolling until it is one complete little egg roll. The egg wash should hold it all together, but add more and press lightly, if you need to!
Get the oil frying in medium sauce pan. Put in about 5 egg rolls at a time and fry for about 2 minutes, until golden brown. I did not have enough oil in my pan…don’t be like me!
Drain on a paper towel and whisk together the apricot jam, ginger, water, and sugar in a sauce pan, cook for about 2 minutes, until slightly thickened.
Serve these little baby egg rolls with the dipping sauce, and watch them disappear!
The nifty printable is below!
- 3 scallions
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 package wonton wrappers ( you will use about half of them)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups of oil for frying
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Chop the scallions.
- Whisk scallions with cream cheese, agave, and sriracha in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer.
- Whisk together and egg with the water. This is the glue to hold the wrapper together.
- Place a wonton wrapper on a clean surface.
- Place a small amount of the filling (1 Tablespoon) into the center of the wrapper. Turn the wrapper, so a corner is facing you.
- Fold the corner over the filling. Roll and fold in the sides, and continue rolling.
- Continue with the remaining wrappers, until you are out of filling.
- Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan.
- Fry about 5 wontons as a time, until golden brown (about 2 minutes)
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan on medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Serve with the egg rolls! Dig in!