So happy that I stumbled across this gem of a recipe while reading Food Network Magazine. Katie Lee posted this recipe after a trip to the Amalfi Coast. It is so simple, quick, and absolutely delicious. It is just a few ingredients; pasta, zucchini, parmesan, pecorino, olive oil, basil, and garlic. Really all of the best things. It is especially perfect for summer because there always seems to be zucchini around.
Of course, I made a few changes to the original recipe, but it is still wholly Katie Lee’s. Any pasta will do, her original recipe calls for spaghetti, but I have made it with fusilli and farfalle too!
Begin boiling the water for the pasta and begin cooking the pasta. You will need about a cup of the pasta water in order to make the sauce for this pasta. So you definitely need to cook the pasta ahead of time. It is ok if it sits on the side while you make the rest of the sauce.
Start by chopping the zucchini into delicate little moons. Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large saute pan. Once the oil is nice and hot add the zucchini in one large layer.
Smash four cloves of garlic and add it to the zucchini. Add 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water and finish cooking the zucchini until it is tender. Remove the garlic cloves and add in 6 leaves of shredded basil and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Turn heat to low and add the cooked pasta and the rest of the pasta water.
Stir to combine and add in 1/3 cup of parmesan and a 1/3 cup of pecorino until it becomes a cheesy, saucy masterpiece. Serve immediately, preferably with more cheese!
Here’s the printable!
- 1 lb. of pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced
- 6 basil leaves, torn or sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup pecorino cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta, slightly underdone and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Set pasta aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan until hot. Add sliced zucchini and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in smashed garlic and cook for another minute or so. Add in 1/4 cup of reserved water and finish cooking zucchini until tender.
- Add in the basil and salt, remove the smashed garlic cloves.
- Add in pasta, remaining water, and grated cheeses.
- Stir to combine and cook for another minutes until some of the juices have been absorbed by the pasta and serve immediately!!