Meat free deliciousity. These quinoa burgers are YUM! If you make fun of people for eating veggie burgers, then you haven’t tried a veggie burger like this! I am not a vegetarian, but we eat vegetarian meals often. (I was one for like 6 years, things change). Vegetarian meals, when packed with veggies are healthy, inexpensive, and don’t require a ton of prep! Whether you are a vegetarian or not quinoa burgers are super yummy, packed with protein, and easy to make!! YAY! Christie, this burger is for you. I have a ton frozen in my fridge now, so come visit me and eat some!
Cook up your quinoa first, you are going to need two heaping cups of cooked quinoa, so that means you need a cup of dry. I cooked my quinoa in veggie broth to add some extra flavor.
Next just mix together all of the other ingredients in a bowl, 3 eggs, 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs, 3 Tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 cup grated carrot, 1/4 cup chopped spinach, 2 Tablespoons chopped chives (or scallions), 4 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon Sazon seasoning, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper! Ok, so it’s a lot of ingredients, but it’s all good stuff!!!
Mix in the quinoa and you will have a sticky but very thick mixture that looks like this!!
Get a cast iron skillet, or any heavy bottomed pan heating. Get it really hot, add light olive oil, and then turn the heat down to medium. Grab about a 1/2 cup of the mixture and form into a ball with your hands, flatten slightly, and carefully place in the hot oil, it’s super hot, so be careful. Flatten it with a spoon to make it a little larger.
Place 3 or 4 in the pan or however many will fit. Cook for about 2 minutes and then flip. It should be golden brown and firm. Keep a close eye on them, and turn down the heat if needed. Remove form the pan and let drain on paper towels! I added cheese to mine. I just threw on a slice and placed it under the broiler for 20 seconds.
I also made a garlic chive aioli!! The recipe is super simple and is in the recipe card below!
You can eat these on their own, on a bun, or chopped up on top of a salad. Versatile, baby!
- 2 heaping cups of cooked quinoa
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives (or scallions)
- 4 cloves of garlic,chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sazon seasoning
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper (about 1 teaspoon each)
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chives.
- Combine all ingredients except for the olive oil in a bowl until completely combined.
- Heat a heavy skillet on high heat, add in the olive oil and then reduce heat to medium.
- Take about 1/2 cup of the mixture at a time and roll into a ball, flatten slightly and place in the oil. You should be able to fir 3 or 4 in a pan.
- Flip after about 2 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown. Cook on the other side for about 1 minute, until golden
- Serve with Aioli on a Bun!
- Combine all aioli ingredients together in a bowl. THe END!