My mom says I have been making “concoctions” ever since I could hold a whisk. They were usually pretty disgusting. I used to leave them hiding around the house where they would grow mold. What can I say, I liked to mix things up 😛 Now that I’m grown up, I’m still making concoctions, but they never last long enough to grow mold around here!
This concoction was definitely not disgusting. It was delicious! I had a whole bunch of different left overs in the fridge and freezer and decided to put them altogether and wanted a warm soup for this cold and rainy day. It started with a whole bunch of collard greens I had prepped for a meal but never used, leftover mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, leftover turkey stock, and some frozen ricotta gnocchi.
I started by chopping up some onion. I think I put onion in everything. It’s so good.
Now take out yer butter. I love Kerry Gold, it’s grass fed and it tastes so good!
Put a few tablespoons of butter and olive oil into a large saucepan.
Add the onions and saute until nice and soft.
Then chop up all of the collard greens, you could use swiss chard here, or spinach, or kale, whatever you have laying around!
Then add them to the pot! Looks like a lot now…
But it cooks down fast!
Add the salt and pepper.
Then I added the leftover mashed potatoes and sweet potato.
Then add any kind of stock you have lying around.
Let it simmer just for a little. Don’t cook it too long or the greens will get all brown and wilty.
Then I added some nutmeg.
And some mustard powder, it compliments the bitterness of the collards nicely!
Then throw in the gnocchi! You could use homemade, store-bought, or another kind of pasta you wish!
Serve this yumminess up while it’s hot!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large bunch of collard greens (or kale, or spinach)
- 1 1/2 cups of mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup sweet potato
- 3 cups turkey stock (or chicken, beef, or vegetable)
- 2 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups gnocchi, or al dente cooked pasta
- Lots of salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onion in butter and olive oil until soft.
- Chop collard greens into large pieces.
- Saute greens with onion, until wilted.
- Add the mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. Stir until combined.
- Add salt and pepper and stock.
- Simmer for a few minutes and add mustard powder and nutmeg.
- Add gnocchi and cook until done.
- Serve while hot!