So, this girl does not like pasta salad. My husband, loves it. I hate it. I’ve tried the little elbow macaroni pasta salads that you get at delis a thousand times, and they are just not for me. I think it is because I won’t eat unflavored mayonnaise. I’m weird.
So, I’ve been searching for a way to make the pasta salad my husband loves, that I actually want to eat too! The key…Roasted Garlic!!!!!!! YES!!!! If you have time to roast garlic, the rest of this pasta salad is crazy easy. If you don’t have time to roast garlic you can also just saute some garlic and it will also be extremely yummy.
Here’s how its done!
Start by putting about 2 Tablespoon of olive oil over a bulb of garlic that you chopped the top off of. I put it on a bit of tin foil. You don’t need a fancy garlic roasting pot. Then sprinkle a salt over the top of the garlic. Oh yeah, and preheat your oven to about 200 degrees.
Then just close and crimp the tin foil around the bulb of garlic (and it’s top, why leave it out?).
Bake for about 3 hours. Check to see what it looks like every once in a while. It should look very light brown and should be quite soft if you squeeze it.
While the garlic is roasting, cut up a container of grape tomatoes, into halves. Chop up about 3 cups of spinach as well! Super simple!
Once your garlic is done roasting, squeeze out each little clove into your food processor. Add 1 cup of mayonnaise, 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup grated parmesan, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and if you want a little zing, add one fresh clove of garlic. I like it garlicy, yowzahs!
Pour in about 1/4 cup of olive oil while you buzz it altogether. Do this until it is nice and smooth. Pour this mixture over the 1 lb. of cooked pasta, I like to use orechiette (little ear shaped pasta) and the tomatoes and spinach. Mix together thoroughly. You can either serve immediately or put it in the fridge for a few hours (or even a day!!)
The printable is below!!
- 1 lb. orechiette pasta
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 fresh garlic clove
- 1.Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Cut off the top of the garlic bulb, place the top and bottom on a piece of tin foil. Pour two tablespoons of olive oil over the garlic and sprinkle with salt. Close the tin foil around the garlic and bake for about 3 hours.
- 2. Boil the pasta according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- 3. Combine the roasted garlic cloves, mayonnaise, sour cream, parmesan, black pepper, and fresh garlic clove in a food processor. As it is blending, pour in the remaining olive oil. It should be rather thick.
- 4. Dress the pasta, spinach, and tomatoes with the garlic mixture and toss to combine.
- Serve room temperature or cold!