Spaghetti Carbonara is a gift from the gods! It is so good! As a bonus, it only has about 5 ingredients (not counting salt and pepper). You can whip it together in under twenty and it is sooo satisfying. You can also substitue zoodles for a healthier, veggie based meal!
I originally learned how to make this when I was studying abroad in Italy. A lot of times in America you will see this recipe with cream and a whole bunch of other stuff in it, but originally it is just eggs, some kind of fatty pork, and parmesan or pecorino cheese. I add garlic to mine, because I am crazy for garlic. But you do not have to, it will taste just as amazing without it!
I made this for Steve when we were snowed in yesterday and it was the perfect warm, cozy, and hearty dish we needed.
All you will need is….
1/2 lb. spaghetti, 6 slices of thick cut bacon, or pancetta, or guanciale, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 egg yolks, 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese. You will also need a little bit of the pasta water!
Get a pot of water boiling for the pasta before you start!
Then slice up the bacon into “lardons” aka just little strips.
If you decided to use garlic, chop it up finely!!
Place the bacon in a cold pan (this helps the bacon come up to temperature evenly) and heat on medium until nice and crispy.
Turn the heat down to low and add the garlic.
When cooking the pasta, make sure to reserve about a cup of the pasta water! You will use it to make the sauce later!
Toss the pasta around in the pan, so it is totally coated with the cheese, bacon, and garlic.
Stir in the egg so that they completely coat the noodles. The heat from the pasta will gently cook the eggs into creamy bliss. You have to have the heat off for this, or else you will end up with scrambled egg pasta!!
Add in a little pasta water (1/4-1/2 of a cup) to help finish cooking the egg.
Add in a little chopped parsley if you wanna and give it one last stir. Serve with a little more parmesan cheese and salt and pepper!
Recipe card is below!!
- 1/2 lb. spaghetti
- 6 strips of bacon or pancetta
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- salt and pepper
- 1. Get a pot of water boiling for the spaghetti, you will need to reserve about 1/2 a cup of the pasta water for the sauce.
- 2.Slice the bacon into small pieces. Heat in a pan until brown and crispy.
- 3. Turn heat to low and add the minced garlic. Cook for about twenty seconds.
- 4. Remove from the heat and add the cooked pasta. Top with the cheese, salt, and pepper. Toss the pasta until completely coated.
- 5. Add in the two egg yolks and stir until it is completely combined.
- 6. Stir in about 1/4-1/2 of a cup of the pasta water.
- 7. Top with more parmesan cheese and serve!
- Save a cup of pasta water!