Does anyone else hate eggplant? I always feel sad that I do not like it. I make myself try it every year, just to see if I’ve changed my mind, but to date it’s still on the hate list. Hating eggplant=hating eggplant parmesan. In comes zucchini parmesan. Our gardens are literally overflowing with these babies. I can’t pick them fast enough. They are growing like WEEDS!
Zucchini is super moist so it’s a good idea to salt them and press them, to expel some of their water before you get to breadin’. Just put them in a colander, sprinkle with salt, cover in a paper towel and place a bowl on top of them. This should squeeze some of the juices out. But remember, since you salted it to add less salt to the breadcrumbs, etc. I forgot about this and the first time I made them they were crazy salty!!
Get your breading station ready! I do a pan of flour with salt and pepper, a pan of about 3 eggs whisked with 1/4 cup of milk and salt and pepper, and a pan filled with Italian Breadcrumbs (I also add about 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese to this section).
Breading fingers! I am a one hand girl!
Get a pan heating with a 1/2 inch layer of olive oil. Make sure it is nice and hot before you add the zucchini. Cook the zucchini in the hot oil for about 2 minutes on each side (nice and golden brown). Let drain on paper towels. You can keep them warm in the oven (250) if you need to wait to serve them!
I made a homemade sauce using 2 cloves of garlic, chopped, 1/4 cup of olive oil, and 1 16-oz. can of diced tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of dried basil and dried oregano. Saute the garlic and olive oil together, then add in the tomatoes and herbs. Add salt to taste! You can also use jarred sauce for this recipe!
- 2 large zucchini, sliced in rounds
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 2-3 cups of Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1. Salt the zucchini slices and press them between paper towels (weigh down with a bowl) for about 10-20 minutes to expel some of the water
- 2. Combine flour with salt and pepper in a bowl. Combine eggs and milk with salt and pepper in another bowl. Combine breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- 3. Dip each slice of zucchini in the flour then the egg wash, then the breadcrumbs.
- 4. Fry on each side in a pan with olive oil heated on medium-high. About 2 minutes on each side.
- 5. Drain on a paper towel and keep warm in the oven (250 degrees)
- 6. Combine olive oil with chopped garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 7. Layer zucchini with sauce and mozzarella and parmesan if you wish!