Maple, you say? Bacon, you say? Mini Waffle, you say? And crunchy???? Yep, these waffles have got it all. Although these maple bacon crunch waffles sound complicated, they are really easy and fun to pull together. Perfect for a lazy Saturday or Sunday morning! The only requirement here is real maple syrup! You gotta have it with these babies, they deserve it!
Start by mixing together all of your dry ingredients. It’s just flour, salt, and baking powder for these waffles.
Then mix together your wet ingredients. Milk, oil (or melted butter), and eggs. Pretty simple right? You can mix it all together right in your mixing cup, but it is better if you have a larger one. Me trying to mix it in this smaller one, sure got interesting!
Then mix your wet with your dry.
Get your batter as smooth as you can without over beating it!
Heat up your waffle iron to pretty high. Only put about a 1/4 of a cup of batter in the very center, so it will make nice mini sized waffles. Or you can make regular sized, it’s all good.
Place your bacon in a cool iron skillet. Let it come up to temperature together over medium hight heat. This way the bacon will cook evenly and splatter a lot less.
Cook the bacon until it is nice and crispy. Remove it from the pan and drain the grease into a separate container. You won’t be needing it for the rest of this recipe, but you could save it for something else!
Add maple syrup and sugar into the hot skillet. It should be pretty bubbly right away.
Cook on medium high, stirring frequently. This agitation is what will make it crystalize and get all crumbly.
Add in the bacon and coat it completely. Let it cook for another minute or so, then remove from the heat to let it cool slightly.
Place the bacon and sugar mixture on the cutting board and chop into fine bits.
Take a waffle and spread some sour cream on it. I know this sounds crazy, but give it a try!
Pour a little maple syrup and sprinkle on the bacon crumble. Heaven!
I hope you enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup oil or melted butter
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (plus more for serving)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Sour cream for spreading
- Heat waffle iron on high.
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whip together the milk, eggs, and oil in a liquid measuring cup or separate bowl.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until combined.
- Add a 1/4 cup to the center of the waffle iron and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Cook the bacon in an iron skillet or pan, until very crispy.
- Remove from the pan and drain the bacon fat into another container.
- Pour the maple syrup and sugar into the pan. Let cook on high for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until a deep brown color. It should be very bubbly.
- Return the bacon to the pan and coat with the mixture.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and allow to cool slightly.
- Place bacon/sugar mixture on a cutting board and chop finely.
- Spread a layer of sour cream over the waffle.
- Top with a small amount of maple syrup.
- Sprinkle with bacon crunch mixture.
- Dig in!