Orechiette with broccoli and sausage is a super quick meal to make! It was the perfect 15 minute meal after a long day of parent-teacher conferences. You can whip it up with any kind of protein, you can sub chicken or shrimp for the sausage and sub broccoli rabe, swiss chard, or kale for the broccoli. You could of course use other pastas, but I love orechiette. The little ear pastas are perfect for holding onto sauce and garlic chunks. The only constant you need is a lot of garlic, a lot, a lot.
Here are 6 giant cloves. I used some of it for the garlic bread, which of course I burned and had to remake. There was lots of garlic chopping tonight.
Chop it up nice and finely.
Get that water boiling and toss in the pasta. Cook to super al dente because you want the pasta to cook in the sauce a little and absorb all of its goodness.
While it’s cooking saute the garlic in some olive oil and butter too, if you’re me and put butter in everything.
Add the sausage and cook until it is browned. I used one sweet and one hot sausage. You could use chicken sausage too!
Then toss in the broccoli. It’s a good idea to use fresh, but I have a giant bag of frozen, and tonight needed to be quick, so frozen it was.
Take a scoop of pasta water and add some chicken base. You could also just use some chicken broth.
Add it to the pot and let it all cook together forming a sauce. The pasta water will thicken the sauce a bit.
Drain the pasta and add it to the pot.
Saute together until the pasta has absorbed the sauce. Then dump a ton of grated cheese into the pot. We used pecorino, it’s strong flavor goes well with the sausage.
Oh yeah, baby…it’s eatin’ time.
- 1/2 lb. pasta
- 4-6 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon bouillon base
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 sausages cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Boil a large pot of water. When boiling, salt the water and add the pasta. Cook to a very al dente, so the pasta can continue to cook in the pasta sauce.
- Saute the garlic in the olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Add salt and pepper
- Add sausage and cook until browned.
- Add broccoli and cook through.
- Remove a cup of the pasta water and stir the bouillon into the hot water.
- Add the water mixture to the broccoli/sausage.
- Toss in the pasta and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir.
- Serve in large pasta bowls and top with more cheese!