Strawberry Shortcake for dinner! Once a year as a child, my parents would treat us to strawberry shortcake for dinner. We felt so devious, special and spoiled on these nights.
Strawberry season is in full swing here in Connecticut. It usually ends in early July, so I’m trying to get in all of the strawberries that I can! I use my basic biscuit recipe and add in a little extra sugar to make them taste a little more sweet than savory.
In our house, homemade whipped cream is a must. I love that it is only 3 ingredients and I know exactly what goes into it. It doesn’t tend to hold its shape as nicely as the canned whipped cream, but it is delicious. When I say in our house, I mean mostly because of me. Steve would still eat Cool Whip if I let him. (Not that I have to let him do things…you know what I mean lol.) I am slowly convincing him to crave things like real maple syrup and homemade whipped cream.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 sticks of cold butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup of sugar, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or regular milk with 2 teaspoons of vinegar mixed in.
- 1 pint of strawberries sliced
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- Whipped Cream
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Take the butter out of the refrigerator or freezer, the colder it is the better this recipe will work! Cut it into small chunks.
- Combine all dry ingredients and butter in food processor, pulse until it forms fine crumbs. You can also use a handheld pastry blender and a large bowl.
- Slowly add in buttermilk, pulsing as you combine ingredients.
- Turn out dough onto a clean flour surface.Roll out into a thick sheet, about 1/2-1 inch thick.
- Cut using a biscuit cutter and place onto an un-greased baking sheet. Sprinkle each shortcake with sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Combine the sliced strawberries with the sugar. Allow to macerate in a bowl.
- Whip the cream with a hand mixer, of using the whip attachment of a stand mixer. Whip until the fluffy and somewhat stiff, be careful not to over whip or it will turn into butter!
- Fold in the powdered sugar and the vanilla.
- Split the shortcakes in half, top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream, top with the other half of the shortcake and serve!
Jennifer Dawn says
This looks delicious! I love strawberry recipes!
Thanks, Jennifer!! Me too!
Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder says
this is my husband’s fav dessert – I’ll have to make this for him 🙂
My husband’s too!! Hope you guys enjoy!!
Linda @ 2 Cookin' Mamas says
This looks delicious! Love the sound of the buttery biscuit with all those sweet strawberries. Yum!
Thanks, Linda! They compliment each other so nicely!!
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl says
These shortcakes look delicious and just scream Summer fun! Yummy!